Car accidents are one of the most common sources of serious injury and death in Texas. Lucé Evans Law understands how difficult it can be recovering from an accident. Piling medical bills, lost wages, and pain that lingers far beyond the accident. We have compiled a list of car accident statistics about fatal and non-fatal injuries that occur every year to show how serious these accidents can be.
Car Accident Fatalities
Texas’ 2013 car accident statistics are alarming when it comes to fatal car accidents.
- There were 3,377 traffic-related deaths—a 1 percent decrease from the 2012.
- These economic cost of these fatal crashes are an estimated 25.7 million dollars.
- There is one fatal crash every 2 hours and 36 minutes in Texas.
- The majority of fatal car accidents (55.6%) occur on rural roadways.
- In Texas there was not a ‘fatality free’ day that occurred in 2013.
- March 23, 2013 was the deadliest day with 27 fatal car accidents occurring.
- In 2013, there were 460 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving. This is a 2.34% decrease from 2012.
Non-Fatal Injuries in Texas
There are also many important facts regarding non-fatal crashes in 2013:
- 232,041 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2013.
- There were 65,539 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2013 with 89,270 people sustaining a serious injury.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes 16 seconds.
- One reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.
Driving under the influence or driving with someone under the influence accounted for over one-third of fatal crashes. In 2013, the majority of alcohol related accidents were reported in the hour between 2:00 am and 2:59 am than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Saturday than any other day of the week. So if you are the road around that time, take extra caution. If you have been drinking, arrange a ride with a sober driver.
If you have been injured in a serious car accident, you are entitled to compensation. In order to get what you deserve, you need an attorney. Contact Lucé Evans Law online or call us at (972) 632-1300 today to schedule a free consultation.