Collection Agency Harassment Attorney McKinney & Whole Collin County TX
During these times of economic hardship it’s entirely understandable that you may have fallen behind on your obligation to a creditor. While the creditor has every right to contact you, there are very specific rules provided by the Federal Trade Commission regarding collection agency harassment. However, not all debt collectors abide by the rules. Your attorney in McKinney, TX is pleased to provide you with a few of those rules so you can stop collection agency harassment.
Debt Collection Rules
Debt Collectors May Not:
- Contact you before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- Contact you at work once you have notified them you’re not allowed to take calls there.
- Contact third parties more than once regarding your debt, and then it must be limited to obtaining contact information.
- Threaten violence.
- Publish a record of your debt for any other party but credit reporting agencies.
- Use obscene language.
- Repeatedly call in order to annoy.
- Use false statements.
- Threaten arrest or legal action where the action would be illegal.
- Report false credit information.
- Threaten to take your property without legal grounds to do so.
- Contact you via postcard.
- Deposit a post-dated check prior to the date.
Attorney Representing Creditors
If you have found yourself unable to collect on a debt, it’s time to call the debt collection attorneys at Lucé Evans Law. Creditors have rights as well and the most basic of those rights is to collect on money legitimately owed by a debtor. However, it can be difficult to collect the debt on your own, given the myriad number of stalling tactics that debtors can employ. And since debts generally get harder to collect with age, time is of the essence.