Teen drivers don’t have the best reputation for safe driving. That is why the Lucé Law Firm has put together a car accident preparedness kit that you can place in their vehicle to ensure they are prepared. In addition to discussing safe accident protocol, have your teen sign the Safe Driving Contract before they get behind the wheel. The safe driving contract informs your teen the importance of safe driving and what to do in case of an emergency. Here are a few things that is important to include in the kit.
Obtain Important Information
The kit should include paper and a pen so that they can write down important information at the time of the accident. Make sure to stress the importance of writing the time, place, and date of the accident as well as the other driver’s name, address, phone number, and insurance provider. It is also helpful to include the contact information of any witnesses to the accident. This information will be invaluable to your attorney in building your case.
When anyone is in an accident, it can be a terrifying experience. Its hard to think clearly on the information that you need. That’s why we have created an easy to follow checklist to add to your teen’s Car Accident Preparedness Kit. Here are a few key points to highlight with your teen driver:
- Pull off the road to a safe location.
- Call for medical assistance if anyone is injured.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver.
- Obtain contact information for all witnesses at the scene.
- Use a disposable camera or your phone to take pictures of the scene and the vehicles involved.
- Use the form on the diagram to sketch the accident.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than law enforcement officials.
Putting Together Your Kit
Have your teen help you put together the emergency kit. That way they are familiar with the objects in the kit in the event of an accident. Make sure to include:
- A first aid kit
- A flashlight
- Bottled water
- A blanket
- Non-perishable or dried food
- A disposable camera
- Jumper cables
Also published on Medium.