Adopting a child into your family can be an incredibly happy yet stressful experience, but you probably have many adoption questions. There is so much to think about, consider, and do from the time you have decided on adoption and bringing your new son or daughter home. Many people decide to hire an adoption attorney to aid in the adoption process. The requirements in adoption can be complex, and an experienced attorney can walk you through the process one step at a time.
1. What is the adoption process like?
In Texas, you have to go through a step-by-step process to be considered eligible to adopt. You need to complete the following:
- Attend an informational meeting
- Speak to DFPS staff to discuss adoption and if it is a good choice for your family.
- Attend special training (PRIDE) to speak about parenting an adoptive child.
- Complete a home study to discuss your personal history, interests, and how you will meet the child’s needs.
2. What expenses will I have to cover?
This is often of the most commonly asked adoption questions. Sometimes the adoptive parents will cover the birth mother’s medical costs and legal fees. Occasionally they will also assist in travel costs and some living expenses. You should discuss this with your attorney prior to beginning the adoption process.
3. What percentage of your caseload is adoption related?
It is important to know your attorney’s experience with adoption cases. How many domestic parental placement adoptions have they handled in the past year? How many contested adoptions? Is adoption a focus of their practice or a side interest? Becoming familiar with their knowledge on the subject will help with choosing the best attorney for your case.